Friday, January 18, 2008

Rochette Rolls The Dice

It's a tumble that loosened her grip — at least for one night — on the Canadian women's title.
But Joannie Rochette, taking that half glass full approach, sees it as a mistake that might pay big dividends when the stakes are even higher.
Rochette, the three-time defending national women's queen, is the leader after the short programs were presented Friday night at the BMO Canadian figure skating championships at Pacific Coliseum. But hometown favourite Mira Leung appears set to push the champ after a wonderful short program performance.
The margin between the two is a mere 1.08 points heading into Sunday's free skate final. Rochette owns 59.32 points; Leung 58.24. Lurking in third place is Rochette's new training partner, Myriane Samson of St-Jean-sur-Richilieu, Que. (54.88), who's followed closely by former Canadian champion Cynthia Phaneuf of Contrecoeur, Que. (53.49).
While Rochette did tumble to the ice on the back end of her combination, this was no ordinary fall. She made a serious go at a triple flip-triple toe combo, something Rochette knows she has to have to take a major step toward the elite at the international level.
"I could have went the easy way and done a nice double after the triple, but I knew I really had to try it," said Rochette, 22. "That fall really is going to pay off in the future ... it takes a weight off my shoulders going to 2010 (the Vancouver Winter Olympics).
"I’m happy I tried it tonight. It’s the first time I tried it in a big competition, so it’s a big step forward for me. It know it sounds silly to say that about a mistake, but I’m glad I made it."
It also was a lucrative decision, too. All season long, Rochette and coach Manon Perron have had a standing bet about the combination. If she doesn't try it in combination, Rochette forks over $100 to her coach. But she was on the receiving end this night.
"She likes to shop and she likes to win, so she really likes it," Perron said of their little arrangement.
And Rochette knows she's in a shopper's paradise.
"Robson Street, it’s great," she said with enthusiasm about the renowned row of posh stores in downtown Vancouver.
Leung's reward, meanwhile, came on the ice.
"That was a really, really good program," said the 17-year-old from Vancouver. "It was the best short (program) I've ever done in competition."
A bigger one might await her Sunday, if Leung can overhaul Rochette.
"That would be awesome," she said of possibly winning her first Canadian title. "But what matters to me is I had the best short program skate I’ve had ever.
"I feel very confident going into the long program and I hope to do just as well as I did tonight."
Rochette knows how tight the battle will be.
"I’m not allowed to make too many mistakes (Sunday)," she said. "I was allowed (to take) a risk tonight but for the free program, I know I have to skate a really strong program to stay on top."

No comments: